Monday, March 1, 2010

28 Day Organizing Challenge

Today, I'm linking to OrgJunkies 28 Day Challenge. Because I was away unexpectedly for a week this month, I put aside my hopes of accomplishing a large area and settled for working on some kitchen drawers. Here's the silverware drawer before:
And here it is after:

My inspiration for this drawer was the two silverware trays that I purchased at IKEA for only 99 cents each!!
Then I moved on to the junk drawer. It was SERIOUSLY, a bunch of JUNK!

Afterwards, it became the towel, hot pad drawer. Again...IKEA!! I purchased some of their wonderful towels...49 cents each. It feels great to have some new, clean towels!!!
The challenge comes with 5 questions...So here we go...
1. What was the hardest part of the challenge for you and were you able to overcome it?
I'd have to say that just getting started was the hardest part. I had wanted to go BIG and get a lot accomplished in my bedroom, but when I knew that was not going to happen I pretty much wanted to sit back and do nothing. I'm glad that I DID attack something, if only 2 small drawers!! (See my last blog post)
2. Tell us what kind of changes, habits you have put into place in order for your area/room to maintain its new order?
I'm trying to be more aware of putting things away and not TOSSING things away! Actually, my theory is that I am finally getting things in order and now that my kids have all moved on, things will stay that way. (We'll see how long that theory holds!)
3. What did you do with your "stuff" you were able to purge out of your newly organized space?
I had three bags...one bag got thrown away (this was most of the stuff!), another went to goodwill, and the third I am going through piece by piece and finding new homes. (Some of that will eventually get thrown too).
4. What creative storage solutions were you able to introduce in order to create additional spaces as well as establish some limits and boundaries?
Nothing too creative here...just a few inexpensive new items to inspire!! (And lots of tossing!!!)
5. Why do you think you should win this challenge?
Well, I'm not too sure about that, but I am glad that I did accomplish something even though I had to give up larger goals. I'm so glad though, that I was able to get away and help out some friends...so worth the time away...my bedroom will still get finished at a later time. Switching to smaller areas instead of focusing on a large area helped me to see my home in more manageable chunks. I'll accomplish order in the bedroom through tackling one small area at a time!!!

3 comments:

Brandie said...

I love the idea of new towels! They look so good!

Katie said...

Wow! Goodbye junk drawer! Nice job!

Amber@ClassicHousewife said...

I've always wanted to shop at Ikea!! =)
I bet it feels nice to get rid of the junk drawer (whose idea was that "invention" anyway??) Looks nice!!