Monday, September 21, 2009

Spiritual Mothering - Chapter 1

The Simple Wife is having a discussion on the book Spiritual Mothering by Susan Hunt. I have owned this book for several years and have read it many times. It's one of those books that I like to frequently reread. I have found myself in different seasons of life during these rereads and am anxious to read through the thoughts of the various women who will be posting.

The following questions were given:
1. Susan Hunt defines spiritual mothering as this: "When a woman possessing faith and spiritual maturity enters into a nurturing relationship with a younger woman in order to encourage and equip her to live for God's glory." What stands out to you in this definition? Why? Does this seem different from a typical mentoring definition? Why, or why not? What stands out to me are the three words at the end - for God's glory. Those words are what make the difference in all that we do. So often we want quick and easy answers to our problems, a simpler life, happiness, etc., but our focus often needs to be redirected back to God's glory. We need less of "What's in it for me?" and more of "How can I bring glory to God?"
2. Beginning on page 18, Hunt talks about our need for mothering. How do you see this need among women you know? In your own life? In my own life I have been blessed to have been raised by a godly mother who has taught me a lot. Also, I am part of a close-knit church where the women share their lives with each other. This close contact has taught me many valuable lessons. We've had some dear elderly ladies who have been great examples to our whole church body. Unfortunately, many women do not see the need in their own lives or value the life experience of older women.
3. What's something that you underlined, highlighted, circled, starred, or drew arrows to in this chapter? Why did it stand out to you?
My attention was drawn to the portion under the heading "Our Capacity for Mothering." The author stated: "As a woman's growing desire to imitate God produces obedience to His Word, she develops mothering characteristics. Our femaleness gives us the capacity for mothering; our faith produces certain characteristics of mothering." These characteristics are such things as compassion, sacrifice, and desire to nurture. Interestingly, when a woman grows in her relationship with the Lord, the overflow of that is a growth in her relationship with others. (We are not an island!)
Hopefully you will have a chance to hop on over to The Simple Wife this week as the topic of Spiritual Mothering is discussed!!

5 comments:

Lisa notes... said...

"For God's glory" - that also stood out to me. It reflects back on our most important mission, and makes this journey an exciting one to me.

What a blessing that you are surrounded with a group of loving women! Our church has pockets of that; it could be better, but I think the Spirit is on the move.

I pointed out the same portion that you did on "capacity for mothering." So it was refreshing to read it again here on your blog.

I look forward to more of what you will share over the weeks! Blessings.

Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

Cathy,

I love that you reread this book all the time. I reread all of my favorite books and love seeing new things even though it may be the fourth or fifth time I've read it!

(I'm having living in the middle of nowhere envy. National Forest, really? Lucky!)

Your answer to the second question made me stop and think. I do see the need for mothering a lot, but at the same time, I think you're right. There are many younger women who don't value the life experience of older women, thinking it's too outdated or "that was then."

It makes me think of a Bible study I used to attend. All the young women at one table, the older women at another. It always made me kind of sad.

The more I read this book, the more I realize the need to know how to ask good questions--questions that draw out that experience--and then be a good listener.

So glad you're doing this!

Joanne

Lisa notes... said...

In reading Joanne's comment, it made me think about how I love being around people who are good at asking questions to draw me out. So "asking good questions" is definitely a skill I want to develop more fully. I love this book study already.

Shayla said...

I am so glad that you have read this book so many times and will have great insight to some of the value and lessons in it!!!

I love how you wrote that "[we] are not an island" As I was reading that area you typed up in the book I was thinking "Hey, that totally happened to me, I became more lady like and sweeter after becoming a Christian" I never realized that is a common part of growing in your Christian walk!

Jamie said...

can't wait to learn from you and along with you. For God's glory is the whole purpose of life right? So why not make that th more important part of our mentoring. Asking questons, getting people to open up and share their lives and then sharing Christ with them and giving Him the Glory...that's what it's all about!